MYSPACE: The Sociology Experiment from Hell

I’ve spent countless hours on Myspace, killing time and giving my ADD a free for all.

It never gets old, does it? There’s always 10 different things going on at any given time; messages, comments comments comments, friends requests, bullentins, updates, new birthdays, new pictures, new songs… Myspace mixed the best of both worlds — social networking and creativity –and managed to capture & keep the attention of millions.

Yet there is something very unsettling about Myspace. Do you feel it? I do. The eeriness of how deep this whole thing has gotten. Where is this all going? Babies are on Myspace before birth. Merely a click away, just like your ex that you still look at and wonder if he/she does the same to you. And the pictures? Everything’s rehearsed, nothing is natural, few are real. (Like dining at Hooter’s.)

I say, Myspace left the simple realm of being a ‘networking’ site long ago.

SELF OBSESSION

There’s the “About Me” section, then there’s the “Interests”, then we’re encouraged to update our status; monitor how we think we’re feeling at every given moment. Then the surveys, so we can think about what we ate for breakfast, our favorite vegetable, the last person we talked to, our last relationship, and the color and style of our toothbrush.

SELF EXPLOITATION

Cause if YOU can convince the world you believe your own HYPE, maybe they will too. Right?

Mark my word, Myspace and it’s effect on a personal level as well as society will be studied in Sociology books for years to come.

What do you think?

Nothing is free in this world, not even Myspace.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Lance Martin says:

Just got your discussion in my e-mail and I like your blog. Don’t worry about what others think. I don’t believe there is a right way or wrong way to blog. It’s just writing so just write.
    The comments on MySpace were sage, by the way. I couldn’t agree more. If you had the MySpace kudos I would give you 2 because they don’t go higher than that I believe. I will link your site on my links page.

Take care – LM

2. 79sparrows says:

Thank you, Lance!
    I had to look up “sage” in the dictionary, so an additional thanks for teaching me a new term. 🙂

I will also add you to my blogroll.

3. gentledove says:

What is worse than MS are the myriads of other networks that try to copy it, and fail miserably, the key word you used was capture-it’s like a soap opera, annnd there are some grubby people that want to “latch on to you” besides Tom I mean 🙂

4. Lana says:

Spot on with the MyStalk analysis. I consider it a symptom of “The Reality Age,” where everyone can get on a reality TV show and be a star. Hell, MySpace has even helped that along for some people. **cough**TilaTiquilaTalentless**cough** It gives everyone a platform to try to be a star on some level.

You hit the nail on the head.

I will at least give MyStalk a bit of credit in that it’s more useful for ACTUAL networking as opposed to other places like Friendster, Tumbler, and the ubiquitous Facebook. At least MySpace encourages you to blog whereas the other ones are ALL about the pictures…. And apps. Lord, how I hate these “apps.”

Awesome and thought-provoking post! More people gotta read this!!

5. zxvasdf says:

Myspace is like a rotting corpse on a time lapse video on Animal Planet: it shivers with a swarm of maggots and all kind of parasites, slowly decomposing until it’s a pile of yellow bones that the ants keep trying to move.

Facebook is like the good-looking charismatic gentleman who invites a girl out on a dinner date and drops rohypnol in her drink when she’s not looking.

6. sandrar says:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. 🙂 Cheers! Sandra. R.